How to Have an Eco-Friendly PicnicPosted
School’s out and so is the sun! In our latest blog post, we’re sharing tips for having an eco-friendly picnic with your family and friends this summer.
1. Pack sustainable items instead of takeout or pre-packaged meals to reduce waste. You can cut down on waste and expenses with eco-friendly picnicware such as reusable straws, utensils and plates. You can also bring your own picnic basket or cloth bag instead of using paper or plastic bags. Don’t forget to pack your picnic blanket, cloth napkins and reusable food containers.
2. Recycle! We’re partial to this one 😉 If you choose to bring items that aren’t reusable, make sure that you recycle or dispose of them properly. Some of the most common recyclable items at a picnic are:
– Plastic water and soda bottles (throw the cap in the trash – it’s too small to be captured at our recycling facility)
– Metal soda and beer cans
– Glass wine and beer bottles
– Kids juice boxes (throw the straw in the trash)
All of the above recyclables should be clean, empty and dry before placing in a recycle bin. For a full list of what items are recyclable, please visit www.pennwaste.com.
3. Take trash with you. To ensure you leave the environment in the exact condition you found it, do not leave litter behind. It can contaminate water and land or be a danger to wildlife. Please take all your belongings and trash with you if there are no recycling or trash receptacles on site.
We hope these tips will help you enjoy your picnic with friends and family in a sustainable manner!